Even though there isn’t any branding on its black dial, seasoned watch collectors will obviously know that this PAM 673 is a Panerai.
The clues being the characteristic case including its crown protection device and the familiar 3, 6, 9 and 12 Arabic fonts. For those with sharper eyes, there is the sandwich dial and the “Marina Militare” inscription.
Marina Militare is Italian and means “Navy” when translated to English. This inscription on the upper half of the dials appeared following the request of the Italian Navy.
Such Panerai’s divers’ wristwatches with the “Marina Militare” inscription on the dials were made exclusively for the Italian Navy from the 1930s to the early 1950s.
The 47mm diameter case of this PAM 673 features the same proportions as those produced back in the late 1940s with its elegantly cusped caseband. Similar to its historical version, the dial of the PAM 673 is protected by a domed polymethyl methacrylate, in order words, Plexiglas crystal.
Polymethyl methacrylate or PMMA is a synthetic resin produced from the polymerization of methyl methacrylate. PMMA is a transparent and rigid plastic that is a substitute for glass.
Unlike the historical version, this PAM 673 has an open display case back, protected by sapphire crystal. As such, one can view the brand’s Calibre P.3000 manual-winding movement with three days (72 hours) of power reserve after being fully wound.
Another feature of the P.3000 is its rapid time zone adjustment mechanism. With this one can adjust the time, namely the hour hand only, either forwards or backwards independently without disrupting the running of the minute hand.
The “secret” behind this ability to adjust the hour hand is the star wheel with 12 teeth and a small spring clutch.
Panerai Luminor 1950 3 Days Acciaio
Introduced in 2016
• Calibre P.3000 manual-winding movement
• 21,600 vibrations per hour (3Hz)
• 72 hours power reserve
• Diameter of balance wheel: 13.2mm
• Domed Plexiglas protecting the dial
• Black dial with luminous Arabic numerals and hour markers
• 47mm diameter case in AISI 316L polished steel
• Water-resistant to 10 bar (approx. 100m)
• Sapphire crystal case back
• Ponte Vecchio Tuscan leather strap with OP logo imprinted and beige stitching
• Comes with a second rubber strap, a spare Plexiglas crystal, a steel screwdriver and certificate
Limited to 1,000 pieces