With 2017 being the Year of The Rooster, it comes as no surprise that Panerai has once again presented a Sealand limited edition (of 99 pieces) hunter-case watch featuring the cockerel.
[Editor’s note: More information on what hunter-case watches or open-face watches are can be found on Renaissance Watch Repair – www.pocketwatchrepair.com]
As a hunter-case watch, it has a protective metal cover over the dial and it bears the rooster motif. The story behind the cockerel is about the Year of the Rooster and how the engraving was created.
Italian master engravers were engaged to carve out the relief of the rooster using the ancient “sparsello” technique, so-called because of the special engraving tool used.
Fine grooves have to be created in the steel cover before these are inlaid with gold threads in multiple parallel layers. These are then “beaten” till they completely fill the grooves and form the outline of the rooster and decorative motifs.
Do note that the inlaying of the gold threads are performed after the cover has been engraved. As such, the slightest error may result in a rejected artwork.
The rooster, as highlighted by Panerai, is “one of the most energetic and determined signs of the Chinese zodiac” and”… “symbolizes the virtue of perseverance.
“Those born under this sign are convincing persuaders, courageous and creative, determined not to depend on the decisions of others, and at the same time they love to be at the centre of attention.”
Panerai Luminor 1950 Sealand 3 Days Automatic Acciaio
Introduced in 2017
• Panerai P.9000 automatic movement, 13¾-lignes
• 197 components
• Movement thickness: 7.9mm
• 28,800 vibrations per hour
• 28 jewels
• 3 days power reserve
• Two barrels
• Date display
• Polished steel cover
• Sapphire crystal made of corundum with anti-reflective coating, 1.6mm thick
• Grey dial with Arabic numerals and hour markers
• 44mm diameter case in brushed steel AISI 316L
• Water-resistant to 10 bar (approx. 100m)
• Crown protection device
• See-through sapphire crystal case back
• Panerai personalized strap and brushed steel buckle
• Comes with a second interchangeable strap, tool for changing the strap and steel screwdriver
Limited to 99 pieces
Another related article on timewerke.com that may be of interest:
i. Panerai Luminor 1950 Sealand 3 Days Automatic Acciaio 44mm PAM00848: The Year of the Goat
More Panerai-related articles on timewerke.com can be found here.