Have you ever wondered for a moment what is actually defined as a smartwatch?
Well, most will associate a smartwatch as a wristwatch with an electronic screen display that not only displays the time but comes with other added features, most times loosely marketed as lifestyle enhancing apps but whether these genuinely improve your life or are must-haves is debatable.
In a Deloitte Watch Industry Study conducted in 2015, some 61% of the respondents ticked off long battery life as an important feature in a smartwatch.
For those thinking of buying one, do take note of one advice offered by PC Magazine: “Buy it for looks, don’t buy it for life.” We fully agree.
As the styles and technologies used in smartwatches will continually evolve, one cannot expect to wear the same smartwatch for years. After all, what is considered a new smartwatch today is old tomorrow.
For horological purists, “smartwatches” are typically mechanical timekeeping mechanisms that tell more than the time; they provide horological information such as calendar indications, the age of the moon phases and even audio time-telling experiences through striking mechanisms known as repeaters.
Vacheron Constantin’s Overseas ultra-thin perpetual calendar is a smartwatch. It is a mechanical masterpiece of the human spirit and is rightfully “smart”. It is not a fashion item lasting a season or two, and can operate for years and offer accurate horological information thanks to its self-winding mechanism with no need whatsoever for any worry over “battery life”.
A mechanical smartwatch can also offer “connectivity” – what we would define as the emotional connection leading to its demand and the eventual purchase. In other words, the mechanical smartwatch can offer both emotional and functional satisfaction… for life.
Vacheron Constantin Overseas ultra-thin perpetual calendar
• Calibre 1120 QP automatic movement
• Hallmark of Geneva certified
• 276 components
• Movement diameter: 29.6mm (12½-lignes)
• Movement height: 4.05mm
• 19,800 vibrations per hour (2.75Hz)
• 36 jewels
• Approximately 40 hours power reserve
• 22K gold Overseas oscillating weight
• Soft iron casing ring ensuring anti-magnetic protection
• Perpetual calendar
• Date, day and month displays
• Leap year indication
• Moon phase display
• Translucent grey-lacquered dial, sunburst-finished base with velvet-finished flange, 18K gold hour markers, hours and minute hands with white luminescent material
• 41.5mm diameter case in 18K white gold, 8.1mm thick
• Water-resistant to 5 bar (approximately 50m)
• Transparent sapphire crystal case back
• Bracelet in 18K white gold with half-Maltese cross-shaped polished and satin-rushed links
• Presented with two additional straps: a second strap in dark grey hand-stitched Mississippiensis alligator leather with large square scales featuring black nubuck lining and micro-perforated effect
• Third strap in black rubber
• Clasps: bracelet in 18K white gold secured by an 18K white gold triple-blade folding clasp with push-pieces and comfort adjustment system
• Each additional buckle comes fitted with an 18K white gold buckle
• Presented with a watch winder
• Comes with a corrector pen accessory
The Overseas ultra-thin perpetual calendar is available only in Vacheron Constantin boutiques.
Another related article that might be of interest:
i. Vacheron Constantin Overseas ultra-thin perpetual calendar: Mechanically Smart