The ExoTourbillon Slim utilises Montblanc’s patented ExoTourbillon with the add-on of a quick stop-second feature.
With the quick stop-second function, one can halt the movement, set time to the precise second and restart it manually via the crown.
This quick stop-second mechanism uses a “whip” to stop the large screw balance. Optimal geometry and kinematics were analysed to find the correct angle at the end of the whip.
When the quick-stop mechanism is activated, the whip stops the balance wheel instantly rather than the tourbillon cage.
Why? If the tourbillon cage was stopped, the balance will continue oscillating and this may inadvertently affect the precision of the movement.
This feature is what Montblanc CEO Jérôme Lambert describes as the “stop and go seconds”.
All functions and settings are controlled by the crown.
The function selector display at 3 o’clock will indicate the operation mode: whether the crown is in winding mode, time-setting mode or the activation of the quick stop-second.
The inspiration for this gauge is obvious, especially for those who are familiar with the engine order telegraph (E.O.T.) or what is also known as the chadburn typically seen in the bridge room of older ships.
Montblanc 4810 ExoTourbillon Slim
Introduced in 2016
• Montblanc Manufacture Calibre MB29.21 automatic movement
• 202 components
• Movement diameter: 30.6mm
• Movement height: 4.5mm
• 21,600 vibrations per hour (3Hz)
• 29 rubies
• 50 hours power reserve
• Flat hoop balance with 18 screws
• Rhodium-plated bridges decorated with Côtes de Genève en Eventail
• ExoTourbillon (patented) with quick-stop mechanism, one revolution per minute
• Steel tourbillon bridge
• Crown setting and quick stop-second display at 3 o’clock
• Crown in 18K 5N red gold with mother-of-pearl Montblanc emblem
• Domed, scratch-proof sapphire crystal, anti-reflective
• Dial: silvery white on the upper portion with exploding star guilloche pattern and Côtes de Genève decoration on the lower portion to highlight the ExoTourbillon, red gold-plated Roman numerals and indexes, red gold-plated luminescent hour and minute hands in regate-shape, blued crown setting and quick stop indication hand
• 42mm diameter case in 18K 5N red gold, satinated middle case, 10.14mm thick
• Water-resistant to 5 bar
• Black alligator leather strap with 18K 5N red gold pin buckle
• Certified by Montblanc Performance Test 500
Other related articles on timewerke.com that may be of interest include:
i.Montblanc 4810 ExoTourbillon Slim: Stop and Go! (Part II)
ii. Montblanc TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept: Super-Dan, Super Light