Source: Kendelia Videos on YouTube
Ever seen acts of love between birds? Well, the above video may well have captured the love between two White-Throated Kingfishers (Halcyon Smyrnensis).
Watch the video and view what we believe is the male White-Throated Kingfisher hunting for its female companion. The male White-Throated Kingfisher took 40 seconds to find a meal for his female companion. The video was filmed in Singapore in February 2018.
According to the information found on the website Birds of India (www.indianbirds.thedynamicnature.com), the breeding season for the generally monogamous White-Throated Kingfishers in Malaysia is from December to August.
This season probably relates to the White-Throated Kingfishers in Singapore too, given its close proximity to Malaysia.
Interestingly, the breeding season for this beautiful bird is shorter in India where it is from April to July.
Speaking of such beautiful feathered creatures, Jaquet Droz is one watch brand synonymous with birds as its namesake founder, Pierre Jaquet-Droz was fond of the them. He drew his inspiration from birds for many of his stunning creations.
The link with birds is kept alive for Jaquet Droz today as seen in its timepieces. One such example being the Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Relief Seasons featuring a dial depicting a pair of blue tit birds (Cyanistes caeruleus) that have been carved from gold, engraved and painted by hand.
The blue tit bird is primarily found in the United Kingdom and the version shown is actually dedicated to spring which begins in March and ends in June in the northern hemisphere.
Perhaps the White-Throated Kingfisher with its richly-coloured plumage can one day be on Jaquet Droz dials as well.
Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Relief Seasons
Introduced in 2017
• Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Relief Seasons
• Introduced in 2017
• Technical specifications:
• Jaquet Droz 2653.Si automatic movement
• 28,800 vibrations per hour
• 28 jewels
• 68 hours power reserve
• Silicon balance spring and pallet horns
• Double barrel
• 18K red gold oscillating weight with white mother-of-pearl and hand-patinated bird applique in 22K red gold
• White mother-of-pearl dial with hand-engraved and handpainted and rhodium-plated 18K red gold bird appliques featuring blue tit birds, off-centred hour and minutes display, blued stainless steel hands
• White gold case set with 272 diamonds (1.02 carats)
• 41mm diameter case in 18K white gold, 13.77mm thick
• Water-resistant to 3 bar (30m)
• Rolled-edge handmade gray satin strap
• 18K white gold ardillon buckle set with 24 diamonds (0.14 carats)
• Total number of diamonds: 296, IF to VVSI, Full Cut, D to G
• Total carat weight: 1.16 carats
Limited to 88 pieces