“Can I just have one more Moon dance with you, my love?
Can I just make some more romance with you, my love?”
~ Chorus of Moondance (1970) by Van Morrison
Yes, Van Morrison’s Moondance of 1970 came to mind when we saw this Rolex Cellini Moonphase and yes, once again, Rolex has romanced fans of its dressy Cellini collection with this elegant piece.
And we also say “yes” to Van Morrison’s Moondance rhythm and blues song and would recommend listening to it as you read this article.
With this Cellini Moonphase, the Rolex Cellini collection which was re-launched in 2014, now has a wristwatch with the moon phase display.
The Cellini Moonphase, housed in an 18K Everose gold (case ref. 50535), is the first for this collection and the third model from Rolex featuring the moon phase indication.
The first Rolex to be equipped with the moon phase display was the Reference 8171 “Padellone” triple date with moon phase that was produced between 1949 and 1952.
What followed by the Reference 6062 “Stelline”, also featuring triple date with moon phase that was produced between 1950 and 1953. One extremely rare and valuable example is the Reference 6062 “Bao Dai”.
Both the Reference 8171 and Reference 6062 were equipped with self-winding movements. One major difference between the two is that the Reference 8171 has a snap-on case back while the Reference 6062 has a screw-down case back for water-resistance.
Powered by the brand’s in-house Calibre 3195 automatic movement, the Rolex Cellini Moonphase presented in 2017 at BaselWorld features the calendar date pointer where its central hand with a crescent moon tip will indicate the date found along the circumference of the dial.
The Cellini Moonphase does not feature the triple date calendar display (like its predecessors the References 8171 and 6062) but the point to note is that its moon phase display is accurate for 122 years and the mechanism is patented.
Another first for a Cellini model is that the Cellini Moonphase has a folding Crownclasp in 18K Everose gold.
Rolex Cellini Moonphase
Case ref. 50535
Superlative Chronometer certification
Introduced in 2017
• Manufacture Calibre 3195 automatic movement
• 28,800 vibrations per hour (4Hz)
• Precision: +2 / -2 seconds a day, after casing
• 31 rubies
• Approximately 48 hours power reserve
• Paramagnetic blue Parachrom hairspring
• Rolex overcool
• Paraflex shock absorbers-Central hour, minute and seconds hands
• Moon phase display
• Double bezel, domed and fluted
• Screw-down, flared winding crown with Rolex emblem
• Blue enamelled moon phase disc, full moon in meteorite, rhodium-plated, silver moon and stars, pad printed
• Central calendar date pointer hand
• White lacquer dial, hour markers in 18K pink gold, hands in 18K pink gold
• 39mm diameter case in 18K Everose gold, polished finish
• Water-resistant to 50m (165 ft)
• Brown alligator leather strap
• Adjustable folding crown clasp in 18K Everose gold